Zabriskie Point in Death Valley National Park is one of the many highlights of the park. It was named after Christian Brevoort Zabriskie, the vice-president of Pacific Crest Borax in the late 1800′s and early 1900′s. Located in the Amargosa Mountain Range between Furnace Creek and Pahrump, NV along State Route 190, it is one of the easier and more visited locations in the park. The site is well marked with a parking area, and restroom facilities. From the parking area there is a short uphill climb to reach the main overlook.
Nine million years ago an ancient lake covered the area around Zabriskie. During the millions of years that the lake existed, sediments collected at the bottom of the lake in the form of saline muds and gravel. The animals that once traversed over this area included camels, mastodons, horses, carnivores, and birds.
What we see today when visiting Zabriskie is a direct result of the climate becoming more and more arid, which caused the lake to dry up. During the same time that the lake was drying up the valley began widening and sinking, and Black Mountain began lifting up. This caused the land to tilt, and erode into the badlands formation that we see today.