Home Town: State College, Pennsylvania
Living: Joshua Tree, California
Jim has spent nearly a decade documenting the hidden treasures of the American Deserts, with a focus on Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park, and the Mojave National Preserve. He is most widely known for his two book series, “Secret Places in the Mojave Desert” and “Hidden Joshua Tree.”
His specialties include Native American history, archaeological, historic site documentation, and natural wonders. He is well versed in, and active in the environmental preservation of the desert, including having been a consultant to the BLM for the Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan (DRECP), and a spokesperson for Campaign for the California Desert.
In the backcountry, Jim is a minimalist, hiker/backpacker, wilderness first responder, and an avid supporter of Leave No Trace ethics.
In the March 25th, 2016 edition of Newsweek Magazine, Jim is described as, “California desert’s best last hope.”
Odd and interesting facts:
- I haven’t had cable or satellite television for over a decade. I haven’t had a landline telephone in 15 years.
- I owned a record label for several years before quitting to pursue Death Valley Jim full time.
- I like a broad range of music from country to black metal. My favorite genres are punk and hardcore.
- As a teenager I was a concert promoter, setting up concerts for touring bands in Central Pennsylvania.
- I grew up an Air Force Brat. By the age of 13 I had lived in 4 different states.
- I published music fanzines starting at the age of 13.
- I love spicy food, the hotter the better.
- I have around 3 dozen tattoos. Most of them were obtained between the ages of 18-23.
Jim has authored the following books:
- Secret Places in the Mojave Desert Vol. 1
- Secret Places in the Mojave Desert Vol. 2
- Secret Places in the Mojave Desert Vol. 3
- Secret Places in the Mojave Desert Vol. 4
- Exploring Death Valley: Secret Places in the Mojave Desert Vol. 5
- Exploring Death Valley II: Secret Places in the Mojave Desert Vol. 6
- Secret Places in the Mojave Desert Vol. 7
- Hidden Joshua Tree: The Real Guide to Joshua Tree National Park
- Hidden Joshua Tree II: The Real Guide to Joshua Tree National Park
- Memories of the Mojave: A Historic Photograph Book
- Rock Art of the Upper Mojave Desert (out of print)
- Analyzing Rock Art of the Mojave Desert Vol. I: Pictographs (out of print)