Silver was discovered in 1890 by C. Moore, in 1894 W.E. Rodgers purchased the mine and began sinking shafts. Amalie Mine grew into a small community with a boarding house, store, a blacksmith shop, a barn, and a short-lived post office . During the mines height a stage-coach ran to and from the mine to Caliente three days a week.
In May of 1900, W.E. Rodgers and the Amalie Mining Company ran into legal issues, and the mine was closed. It reopen for a period under different ownership but was closed again in 1932 and has remained closed since.
The Amalie is reported to have produced $600,000 in gold and silver.
There are a number of structures still standing, including the mill. The condition is surprising good with the exception of the graffiti covering just about everything inside the mill as well as a number of the other buildings. There are new signs posted on all the buildings stating that the land is now owned by the Federal Government and is a place of historic interest.
Interested in visiting this site?
BOOK OPTION: The Amalie Mill is featured in Secret Places in the Mojave Desert Vol. III. Detailed maps, and GPS coordinates are included. Order your copy now.