The mining history in Macedonia Canyon is mostly centered around the Macedonia Mine, which was discovered in the 1860s. It would later be renamed, the Columbia Mine around the turn of century. More on the Columbia Mine at another time.
The Blue Rock Mine, has managed to escape the history books, making the details around it mysterious. A single source has provided the little details that are available about the activity here. The Blue Rock Mine, in the 1980’s was owned by Los Angeles resident, Bill Brown. Brown operated the mine part-time on the weekends. A majority of what he mined was scheelite (tungsten ore), despite the presence of substantial copper mineralization.
Other names for the mine are Blue Rock Nos. 1-6 Mine, and the Confidence Copper Mine. Records do indicate claims on this property dating back to the early 1900’s, however further information could not be located.
The mine shafts have been sealed off with bat cages, and netting, preventing entry. The cabin has seen better days, it has dilapidated to the point of being uninhabitable. An old stove, and upholstered chair now provide nesting places for desert pack rats, which can be a real threat to humans in the form of the airborne transmission of hantavirus. Historic trash litters the landscape in the form of rusted cans, empty chemical barrels, and various other rusty treasures.