Freeman Junctions (originally Coyote Holes) was established in 1873 by Freeman S. Raymond. Raymond, an original Forty-niner, and retired stage-coach driver built a stagecoach station to service travelers making their way to and from Los Angeles from the mines of Cerro Gordo, Bodie, and others.
On February 25, 1874, the legendary Tiburcio Vasquez and his gang robbed several stages and freight wagons at Raymond’s station. On those lucky passengers happened to be Mortimer Belshaw, one of California’s “Bullion Kings”. The robbers only getting a silver watch, 20 dollars in gold coins, and a pair of boots from Belshaw, they warned him not to travel this same road again without at least a thousand dollars on his person, or he would die.
Raymond added a post office to the stage station on September 20, 1886. Raymond was a one man show, and operated the station until his death in August, 1909. The station house burned down a few years after his death, and the post office building was relocated to Richardo Ranch (present day Richardo Campground in Red Rock Canyon State Park).
In 1920, Clare C. Wiley homesteaded the site around the old Coyote Holes Stage stop. A restaurant and gas station was built, and operated until 1976.
Little remains today at the site, with the exception of rubble and foundations of the restaurant and gas station. A historic marked sites a short distance away from the collapsed buildings.
Interested in visiting this site?
BOOK OPTION: Freeman Junction / Coyote Holes is featured in Secret Places in the Mojave Desert Vol. III. Detailed maps, and GPS coordinates are included. Order your copy now.