The Lester Dale Mine overlooks Johnson Valley from the northern slopes of the San Bernardino mountain range. Behind the mine sits the now-defunct Partin Limestone Quarry, which ceased operation in 2003.
Historic details of the Lester Dale are scant, but it is know that the mine operated from the 1920s thought 1952, with the 1920s being its largest production years. Some believe that the Spanish mined gold here many years before white settlers made their way west. Other reports indicate the Spanish never set foot in Johnson Valley due to its extreme remoteness.
Today all that remains is the housing complex that housed the miners and possibly their families. A larger building stands among several smaller structures, likely a commons area, or the mine headquarters. The roofs have long collapsed, but the stone buildings remain standing as a testimony to the past.
Interested in visiting this site?
BOOK OPTION: The Lester Dale Mine is featured in Secret Places in the Mojave Desert Vol. IV. Detailed maps, and GPS coordinates are included. Order your copy now.