Logan City is a late 1800s mining community located along the eastern flank of Mount Irish. The small town sprung up around a silver strike that took place in 1865. Stories surrounding the strike indicate that a Native American woman led a group of prospectors to the ledge of silver, probably feeling bad for them after having struck out on their own.
Once the camp was set up and mining began, it was attacked by the local Native American tribe, chasing off the miners. A short time later a new camp sprang up a short distance from the mine, and within a few months there were over one hundred people called Logan City home. One year later the population swelled to 300, and in July of 1868, the community received a post office under the name Logan Springs.
It wasn’t long after the post office opened its door that Logan City began to decline. The silver began to run out, and residents relocated to the new community of Pioche. The post office closed in August of 1871, putting the final nail in the coffin. Some mining continued in the area until World War II.
Today at the site of Logan City, there are a few structures that remain standing in various states of disarray. The large roofless stone building may very well be period to the original Logan City community, however the other structures are far more recent. Near an outcropping of volcanic ash there are several stones walls, foundations, and can dumps that remain from the original settlement.