The Sand Canyon Aqueduct Camp served as the home and base camp of area Los Angeles aqueduct workers from 1909 well into the 1950’s. The aqueduct stretches for 230 miles from Owens Valley to Los Angeles. In the early 1900’s the growing city had concerns about its water supply running out as the city was rapidly expanding. The Los Angeles Department of Power and Light began purchasing up land in the Owens Valley with the idea of constructing the aqueduct to divert the water from the Owens Lake. The construction began in 1908 with a budget of $24.5 million, and 5,000 workers.
In 1913 a siphon (a tube in an inverted U shape which causes a liquid to flow uphill, above the surface of the reservoir, without pumps, powered by the fall of the liquid as it flows down the tube under the pull of gravity, and is discharged at a level lower than the surface of the reservoir) was completed that ran along the bottom on the canyon.
After the completion of the aqueduct the Sand Canyon Camp continued to be used by workers into the 1950’s. The Los Angeles Department of Power and Light provided homes to the men that guarded and patrolled the aqueduct. In the late 1950’s the homes and buildings in Sand Canyon were no longer being used.
Today little remains of the camp except for some concrete foundations, stone walls, and a rock swimming pool. The cottonwood grove is now used for picnics and camping. A swimming hole that is said to have been built by the aqueduct workers is still a popular place for Ridgecrest residents to take a dip to escape the hot summer heat.