The Sue Mine (aka. Sioux Mine, aka. Falls Mine) was located in 1881 by John McBride, Lars Silva, and Andy Laswell. It was one of the earliest mines located in the Calico Mining District. The three partners sold the mine to Jonas Osborne, a well-known mining engineer from nearby Daggett, for the sum of $1,600. Under Osborne’s ownership the Sue Mine produced $60,000 in silver during its first year of operation. The three partners had to have kicked themselves over the lost opportunity.
Because of the Sue Mine’s precarious location in Wall Street Canyon, a 92-foot ladder was installed, reaching up a massive dry-fall to the upper reaches of the canyon. The ladder provided quick access from the Calico town-site to the mine, rather than the long round about access points. A 300 foot (mostly vertical) tramway was installed to facilitate removing ore from the mine, and down the canyon.
Unfortunately detailed recorded history is scarce, as several larger operations overshadowed the Sue Mine.
Today the overlook from the top of Wall Street Canyon has been dubbed “The Wall Street Canyon Overlook”, and provides an outstanding view of the rugged canyon below. The ladder, and the tram has long been removed, but several adits from the Sue Mine remain open.